An electrical panel upgrade is a great way to improve your home’s electrical system. Not only will it make your home more efficient, but it can also help improve your home’s value. If you’re thinking about upgrading your electrical panel, there are a few things you should know. In this complete guide to electrical panel upgrades, we’ll cover everything you need to know, including:
- What is an electrical panel upgrade?
- Why upgrade your electrical panel?
- Why You Shouldn’t DIY Your Electrical Panel Upgrade?
If you’re considering an electrical panel upgrade, this guide will give you all the information you need to make an informed decision.
What is an electrical panel upgrade?
An electrical panel upgrade is a process of replacing your home’s existing electrical panel with a new one. This usually involves adding more circuits to your panel, as well as upgrading the service entrance cable, and installing a new main breaker.
Why upgrade your electrical panel?
There are a few reasons you might want to upgrade your electrical panel and they are as follows:
1. To support a growing household – As your family grows, so does your need for electricity. If you have a growing family, you might need to upgrade your electrical panel to accommodate their needs.
2. To improve your home’s resale value – An upgraded electrical panel can make your home more attractive to potential buyers and help you get a higher price for your home.
3. To make your home more energy efficient – An upgraded electrical panel can help you save money on your electricity bills by making your home more energy efficient.
4. To improve the safety of your home – An old or outdated electrical panel can be a fire hazard. Upgrading to a new, safer electrical panel can help protect your home and family from electrical fires.
5. Reasons Why You Shouldn’t DIY Your Electrical Panel Upgrade in Brooklyn, NY?
While it might be tempting to try and save money by doing your own electrical panel upgrade, it’s not something we would recommend. Here are 5 reasons why you shouldn’t DIY your electrical panel upgrade:
1. It’s a dangerous job – Working with electricity is extremely dangerous and should only be done by a qualified electrician. If you’re not qualified, you could seriously injure yourself or someone else.
2. It’s against the law – In most states, it’s against the law to work on your own electrical system. If you’re caught doing your own electrical work, you could be fined or even arrested.
3. It voids your home insurance – Most home insurance policies will not cover damage caused by electrical fires. If you DIY your electrical panel upgrade and something goes wrong, your home insurance will not cover the damage.
4. It’s a waste of money – Unless you’re a qualified electrician, chances are you’ll make a mistake during your electrical panel upgrade. This could end up costing you more money in the long run.
5. It’s time-consuming – An electrical panel upgrade is a big job and it’s not something that can be done quickly. If you’re not prepared to spend the time doing it right, it’s best to leave it to the professionals.
Hiring a professional for your electrical panel upgrade is the best way to ensure it’s done safely and correctly. It might cost you a little bit more upfront, but it will save you time, money, and hassle in the long run.
At James Lewis Electrical Corp. we provide electrical panel upgrades for homes and businesses in Brooklyn, NY. Our team of qualified electricians will work with you to determine the best solution for your needs and budget.
Contact James Lewis Electrical Corp. at 347-365-3166 for more information or to schedule a consultation.